Barry N. Turner

Far too often, we seek solutions in buying more
tools/chucks/jaws/gadgets/etc. instead of learning how to use what we
already have.

As a really "green" novice turner, I was having problems with hollowing
boxes and was searching for that perfect tool. Clay Johnson of Choice Woods
in Louisville, KY told me, "You don't need another tool. You need to learn
to use the ones you already have." Good advice.

Barry

"william_b_noble" wrote in message
news:1125899076.68b0ca9a59c2bd00e3cbb3006cf490ee@t eranews...
for what it's worth, I bought a nova chuck and a bunch of jaws - found I
rarely chnaged them - in fact I have the large jaws, think I used them

once,
the 50 mm ones are useful, and the small ones are good on rare occasion -

don't think I've used anything except the 50 mm jaws in years.

bill
www.wbnoble.com

snip--------

So now I've got another $24.255 to spend!
Figure another set of jaws would come in
handy. Will the "spigot" jaws come in handy
for holding the "tenon"/dowel end of the
drawer pulls I intend to make?

Seems as if this slope is getting steeper.
$350 midi lathe
$ 69 StebCenter
$200 chuck
$200 +/- for some chisels and gouges
and there's still a couple of tool rests to
acquire and maybe a collets chuck. Then
there's the Escoulen (sp?) eccentric
chuck for around $275 . . .