Mike Henry

Default Darex M4/M5 flange assembly

I have a used Darex M4 drill grinder and the wheel flange assembly is a
little odd, at least in my limited experience.

The clamping mechanism on the outside of each wheel consists of a dished
flange which slips over the threaded motor arbor, a short collar, a large
slotted washer, another semi-dished washer, and the arbor nut. The collar
nests inside the the two washers and the nut forces that little assembly
against the wheel flange. The manual available at the Darex web site shows
a different clamping mechanism.

It looks like the slotted washer is intended to be adjusted to balance the
wheel - does that make sense? If so, is there a procedure to use for
balancing the wheel or is it just trial and error?

If anybody has a copy of a manual that depicts this assembly and/or
instructions on how to adjust it, I'd love to get a copy of those pages.

If Harold reads this, I should note that both wheels have blotters on each
side.

Mike