Steve Smith

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Dan wrote:

Wanting to add a DRO to my mill/drill (RF30 clone) and am considering
theSchumatech DIY DRO. My question is do you have to be concerned
about backlash when using a DRO or does the scale compensate for it.
Seems as though the DRO gives actual position and Backlash is no
longer a problem?

Fo those of you who have built this DRO before, is this a project
someone with little electronics experience can do?

Thanks all

Maybe I didn't understand what you were asking about backlash, but I
still think that for side milling you should approach the reading you
want from a direction the mill will "push against" when you start
cutting. To do otherwise invites dimensional disaster, particularly if
you can't or don't lock the slide before starting the pass.

Jeff

Good point, Jeff. When I had a mill-drill, I remember the experience
having a lot stronger words attached to it than 'dimensional disaster'.
I didn't break an end mill, but things were pretty exciting for a brief
moment.

Steve