Steve Smith

You've got it right. One of the great things about a dro is that
backlash goes away. The backlash is in the screw/handwheel, moving back
and forth in relation to the table. The dro measures the table directly.
So if the table doesn't move (while you're taking up the backlash), the
dro doesn't measure any motion.

Steve

Dan wrote:

Wanting to add a DRO to my mill/drill (RF30 clone) and am considering
theSchumatech DIY DRO. My question is do you have to be concerned about
backlash when using a DRO or does the scale compensate for it. Seems as
though the DRO gives actual position and Backlash is no longer a problem?

Fo those of you who have built this DRO before, is this a project someone
with little electronics experience can do?

Thanks all