Christopher Tidy

Alex wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Alex wrote:

I shouldn't be able to stall it easily. But I can.
Some one suggested it might be the circuitry and wiring.
I have original 1927 wiring in my house. Is it any way I can check if
my wiring can handle the load? I have a multimeter.

Thanks,
Alex

What does the motor data plate say? Do you have a picture of the data
plate? What voltage is the supply in your house?

How did you stall it? With a long wooden stick or what?

Chris

It's a metal 2x72 grinder. I can stall it by grinding small piece of
steel or aluminum quite easy.
I have 115V in my house.

It's a WEG motor model #00158ES1BF56C.
you can find it on www.wegelectric.com/catalog

Here is the specs:
# Output: 1.5 HP
# Poles: 4
# Frequency: 60 Hz
# Torque: 4.44 lb.ft
# Voltage: 115/208-230 V

Check that the motor isn't wired for 208-230 V. There should be two main
windings connected in parallel for 115 V operation, or series for
208-230 V operation. There will also be a start winding. For operation
at the lower voltage the start winding is connected directly across the
supply by the centrifugal switch. For operation at the higher voltage
one end of the start winding is connected to the point at which the two
main windings are joined, and the other end to the centrifugal switch.

To test your supply voltage you need to set your multimeter to measure
AC volts. Most have a 250 V range which would be the best to choose.
Figure out a safe method to connect the meter in parallel with your
motor. Don't just try to push the probes against the terminals under the
motor cover. Be careful!

Best wishes,

Chris