D Murphy

"Gerry" wrote in news:1125838845.378633.283970
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Just wondering...is this Cliff's personal BBS to peddle his OT
propaganda? Sure wish he'd keep his political agenda on the proper
boards. Is there some way to filter his crap?

First off it's the usenet, not a BBS. If you want to be able to filter
subjects or posters you'll need a newsreader and usenet access.

It looks like you use AOL for your ISP. America on Line no longer
provides newsgroup access, so you'll need to sign up with a usenet
provider. Reading and posting through Google sucks. Once you use a
newsreader you'll never go back.

You can use Microsoft Outlook Express as a newsreader if you'd like
(don't). Or you can use any number of freeware/shareware programs. Do a
Google search on "newsreaders". I've used a number of different readers
and I'm currently using X-News. Download it here (it's free):

http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Next sign up for newsgroup access. Again do a Google search. If you are
only interested in text groups then I recomend News.Individual.net. It
used to be a free service but they have had to start charging. It costs
10 Euros per year. Without checking exchange rates it's probably USD
$11.00-$12.00 per year. You can pay securely with a credit card. Sign up
he

http://news.individual.net/

They have complete instructions on their site on how to configure your
newsreader.

All of this will take less than an hour, then you'll be able to filter
Cliff or anyone else. You can also filter on posts crossposted to three
or more groups, post marke "OT" or whatever you want. You can also
configure your newsreader to make it more difficult for people to figure
out your ISP and where in the country you are posting from. If that sort
of thing is important to you.

--

Dan