Steve B.

No, what I have done is repositioned the wireing into an entirely second
hole. The original hole was only for a light mount, and was screwed
into the drywall. I didn't want the fan falling on me, so I moved this
over about a foot to a beam. I have 4' wires for extending the existing
connections, which I attached with some wire nuts. I have to deal with
the old hole, but that's not a functional issue.

It sounds like you attached the fan bracket to a beam and pulled the
wires over to the fan but did not install another box is that correct?
The danger in doing this is that the connections for the fan are no
longer protected by a box. If their should be an issue with a bad
connection instead of cooking itself safely inside the box the
connection will cook itself next to a flammable wooden beam.

The problem now is that I see something labelled "wiring box" on the
diagram. I certainly don't have it, and it isn't a part of the things
that came with the kit. From what I can see, I have the wires, a beam,
and something to mount into it. I figure I am set but I want to make
sure I'm not missing something with that box. The only thing I can tell
it helps with is distributing ground to the fan. That can be remedied
easily enough by attaching ground to all the ungrounded spots.

You can get a small box just for this situation. You use a hole saw
to remove the sheetrock and mount the box to the wooden beam. Then
your fan mounts to the box and your connections are protected. This
isn't for grounding reasons but to prevent a fire in the event one of
those connections fails.