Stretch

How much they run depends on your local climate and how they are sized.
You need to have a proper load calculation done.

At my old company we had a Lennox 2-speed heat pump at the shop. We
had elapsed time meters on it. It ran 5 hours in low speed for every
hour in high speed averaged over 3 years. In 3 years, it had less than
20 hours of strip heat operation even including defrost.

Multi speed units are normally rated using hi speed operation. In low
speed the efficiency ratings would be even higher. Recommended.

Stretch