Ken Moon

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message
In a begining turning class I took the question of how much does it cost
to get started? His answer was a $1000.00 when asked. On the second to
last meeting he brought out a chuck and was explaining about how to use
it and the advantages it has. Of course the question came up, how much
does it cost? He turned to the class and said, did I tell you about the
second thousand dollars?? Why do I think there is a third thousand
dollars out there just around the corner.

=====================
Bruce,
There can be another thousand (or several) if you don't control yourself.
There's always the temptation of that $3500 lathe, the $150 ea. turning
tools, the latest and greatest whiz bang chuck that will hold any thing at
any position, the new shop to put all this in, etc., etc.. The list is
endless, but much of it is ego, and not necessity (another flame war
ignited). I've been back at this for about 10 years, and I have less than
$1000 total investment, if you don't count the time spent making tools,
jigs, fixtures, etc.. If you take a look at what you want to do, then look
for ways other than the "conventional wisdom" says to do it, you can find
ways to do it without breaking the bank. YMMY

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.