Puckdropper

"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
wrote in :

Actually, I'm not even sure if CAD software is the correct terminology
for woodwork planning. Back on my last job, the mechanical engineers
used CAD packages to draw all sorts of 3D pictures. These packages
could get amazingly powerful ... with amazingly high prices too!

I'm just looking for something that would allow me to draw generic
pictures showing relative thickness of boards, placement of screws or
dowels or joint types, etc.

Now, I happen to have (purchased via Internet) Pat's plans for a really
nice fence. The pictures in his download file are far more elaborate
than I would need (albeit really nice!).

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions for looking at various software
packages. I'm profient at CorelDraw, PowerPoint and others like that.
But they don't make construction drawings any easier.

Thanks!

Jack

I really like a program called CadStd (Cad Standard). The light version
is FREE, and contains enough functionality to draw most objects. I used
it for years before I upgraded to the pro version. The pro version
includes features such as trim and intercept, as well as the ability to
project the 2-d drawing to 3-d. (It's not automatic, but it's a lot
easier than drawing everything over again.)

The program does have a learning curve, but once you get used to one
feature it takes very little to get used to another.

It's also compatible with Autocad files, both in creating and editing
them.

You can download it from http://cadstd.com

Puckdropper

--
www.uncreativelabs.net

still enjoy using the old computers. Sometimes we want to see how far a
particular system can go, other times we use a stock system to remind
ourselves of what we once had.