enigma

"Ann" wrote in
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 20:04:51 +0000, enigma wrote:

"Ann" wrote in
news
I'm only speaking for what I know about, but the rules
out living in the eastern US.

huh? what natural disasters happen in the eastern US with
any regularity? or matbe a better question would be to ask
you to define "eastern US"?

New Orleans doesn't flood "with regularity" either.

not since they put levees on the river

I'm not saying that the New England states are a hot bed of
tropical storms, but snow runoff can cause flooding too.
And NH's earthquake history does include some serious ones.

obviously not bad enough to stop them from building a nuclear
power plant directly on the fault line...

New Hampshire Department of Safety
http://www.nhoem.state.nh.us/Natural...turalHazards.s
htm " ...In 1978 another great blizzard hit New England.*
The Blizzard of '78 dumped 24 to 38 inches of the white
stuff immobilizing the infrastructure and blocking major
interstate highways. *Thousands of motorists abandoned
their automobiles on the highways and in some areas upwards
of 2 weeks were required to clear the snow. More recent
blizzards and snowstorms occurred in March of 1993 and
February of 1996. These events killed scores of people,
caused millions of dollars in damage and left thousands of
people without power for days."

i've been here for all three of those blizzards. the one in
78 caused *much* more trouble to Boston than NH. i think i had
to wait 20 hours before i could get out & back to work.
the one in 93, i was at work in Manchester & had to work a
double shift because my relief person had a sportscar & was
afraid to drive. i drove home in it. it did take me an extra
45 minutes to get home (on an average 45 minute trip). i took
the back (state) road instead of the interstate because i know
those are plowed better & have fewer stupid drivers.
i lived in Manchester for the 98 one. i got to work & home
just fine. i think we did lose power a few hours with that one
(if we had lost power at the house in 93 i wouldn't have
noticed. i was heating with wood & using oil lamps)
the 'scores' that died in those blizzards were mainly stupid
drivers & a few people that didn't understand kerosene heaters
either give off carbon monoxide or need to be kept away from
drapes.
lee i'll take a blizard over a hurricane any day!
--
war is peace
freedom is slavery