Tom Watson

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:58:32 -0600, "mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net"
"mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net" wrote:

Actually, I'm not even sure if CAD software is the correct terminology
for woodwork planning. Back on my last job, the mechanical engineers
used CAD packages to draw all sorts of 3D pictures. These packages
could get amazingly powerful ... with amazingly high prices too!

I'm just looking for something that would allow me to draw generic
pictures showing relative thickness of boards, placement of screws or
dowels or joint types, etc.

Now, I happen to have (purchased via Internet) Pat's plans for a really
nice fence. The pictures in his download file are far more elaborate
than I would need (albeit really nice!).

Anyway, I'd appreciate any suggestions for looking at various software
packages. I'm profient at CorelDraw, PowerPoint and others like that.
But they don't make construction drawings any easier.

Thanks!

Jack

This question comes up about once a week around here.

Unless you're a professional, who needs to present drawings to a
client, you're better off drawing on paper.

Sketch to get general shapes and proportions and then draw it up full
size if you feel the need.

There's no such thing as an intuitive CAD program. I've been through
DesignCad, TurboCad, AutoCad, and currently work in AutoDesk Inventor
10. These programs all have a steep learning curve. This takes away
time from your goal, which I would presume is to actually build
something.

The rudiments of isometric drawing are relatively easy to learn but
even that is not required for furniture design.

You'd be even better off by working on a 2d paper drawing, using only
elevations, plans and sections, and then moving on to a mockup of the
piece, using Foamcore or even MDF, buttered together with a cheap glue
gun.

Even the best 3D program can't give you the intuitve impact that a
mockup does. Why? Because 3D programs are really only 2D programs
tarted up, and woodworking is sculptural, or truly 3D.

At work we draw things up in our 3D program (at $5000.00 a seat) but
still have to build a prototype for the customer. When you mock up,
and if the customer is you, you've accomplished what is needed in
fewer steps.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)