Hedley

Thanks, Lee. My dad had a craftsman table saw (still has the same one) back
when I was a wee tot back in the early 70's. This saw went through 4
different home remodels as the primary wood cutter and the only thing that
ever went wrong with it was the switch. I almost want to buy it from him,
but the logistics would be too hard.

I guess you could say I would get a craftsman for sentimental reasons in
addition to finding one for 30% off.

Right now, I'm leaving it up to the gods. If the 679$ Craftsman up the
street is still on the shelf when the going-out-of-business-sale reaches the
30% off mark, it's mine. If someone else gets it, then I will get the Delta
36-675 from Amazon for 499$ plus 9.99$ shipping.

"Lee Gordon" wrote in message
One thing you can always count on when you ask for tool advice here is
that
whatever your declared budget, at least half the responders will recommend
something in excess of it.
I suppose this post is no exception. I have one of the relatively new
Craftsman hybrid saws (part cabinet saw, part contractors saw). It's the
lowest-end model of the 3 available and retails for $550. From time to
time
Sears has a major sale in the tool department, so if your timing is right
you may be able to get this saw at your price.
The other thing you can count on around here is a fair number of posters
telling you in no uncertain terms that anything with a Craftsman label is
crap. This may, in fact, be true for a number of the tools they have sold
in the past decade, but it definitely does not apply to their new line of
hybrid saws (manufactured in China by a relatively new company formed by
some former Delta personnel). The only bad things I can recall reading
about this particular saw have been posted by people who hadn't actually
used one but were basing their opinions on previous "Crapsman" experience.
Like you, I use my workshop for only the occasional project, not daily
production and the Sears saw is perfectly adequate for my needs.

Lee

Lee Gordon
http://www.leegordonproductions.com