Bruce Ferguson

In a begining turning class I took the question of how much does it cost to
get started? His answer was a $1000.00 when asked. On the second to last
meeting he brought out a chuck and was explaining about how to use it and
the advantages it has. Of course the question came up, how much does it
cost? He turned to the class and said, did I tell you about the second
thousand dollars?? Why do I think there is a third thousand dollars out
there just around the corner.

Bruce
"charlie b" wrote in message
At this point of my slide down the slippery slope of turning,
I've paid for but not yet picked up a SuperNova2 chuch and
the 1" 8TPI insert for my JET midi.

[Woodcraft marketing folks are clever. I could buy it
by the Thursday before their Labor Day Weekend
No Sales Tax (8.25% savings around here) Sale
on sale
- $159.99 for the chuck at the sales price,
- $ 24.99 for the insert at normal price
+8.25% sales tax
or wait and get it during the No Sales Tax Sale and
buy it for the normal price but pay no sales tax
- $199.99 for the chuck at the normal price
- $ 24.99 for the insert at normal price

WHY DON'T THEY JUST SAY $160 INSTEAD OF
$159.99?

Calculator says skip the No Sales Tax Sale,
buy the chuck on sale at $160 and save
$24.255

So now I've got another $24.255 to spend!
Figure another set of jaws would come in
handy. Will the "spigot" jaws come in handy
for holding the "tenon"/dowel end of the
drawer pulls I intend to make?

Seems as if this slope is getting steeper.
$350 midi lathe
$ 69 StebCenter
$200 chuck
$200 +/- for some chisels and gouges
and there's still a couple of tool rests to
acquire and maybe a collets chuck. Then
there's the Escoulen (sp?) eccentric
chuck for around $275 . . .

Ah, but the cost of wood should go way down
relative to furniture making needs. And
I'm sure I can get buy on just one meal a
day. A wood burning stove - that's what
I need! What I save in gas and electric
costs will surely free up some funds
for MORE TOOLS! BIGGER LATHE(S),
MORE POWER!!!!!

PENS! I can make a bunch of pens and
sell them at craft fares. Yeah, that'll
provide plenty of money for MORE
STUFF!

Raaapidly accelerating down the slippery
slope

charlie b