Quddus

Default Makita 8433 Combi Cordless 14v or 18v

Lurch wrote in message . ..
On 18 Jun 2004 11:24:51 -0700, (Quddus) strung
together this:

I can't comment on the 18V but I've got the 14.4V version. It gets
some serious abuse from me and all I've had to do to it in 18 months
is replace the motor bearings and brushes, costing some £12 or
something daft IIRC.
The torque is plentiful, the first job I did with mine after i got it
was to drill a 25mm hole through a wet 4x4 fence post with an auger
bit and it flew through!

The specs on your drill say that it can actually drill up to 36mm
holes in wood!
I wonder if the drill can manage 40-45mm holes with a hole saw though.
I would probably use it 4-8 hours a day when on a project so with the
three batteries supplied this should not be a problem.

I can't believe that parts are that cheap but maybe that is why the
original drill is the price it is. Btw where did you buy your parts
from or does it need some sort of servicing?

Grunff I see from one of your earlier your posts that you opted for
the 18v. What swayed you because the difference in price is quite a
bit?

I went to B&Q just to have a look at the drill and apart from the
battery housing at the base they seemed almost identical apart from
one weighing more than the other. Both seemed as tough and well made
as each other. I particularly liked the chuck which was locked very
firmly with only one handed operation and also had some sort of
ratcheting system allowing greater tightening of the drill bit.

The drill has three modes, Hammer, drill and drive. What is the
difference between drill and drive as there is also a gearing control
so I am a bit confused here. Is this just a gimmick or something
really useful that I have not previously come across?