Duane Bozarth

Goedjn wrote:

On 03 Sep 2005 23:29:26 -0400, Philip Lewis
wrote:

Duane Bozarth writes:
I actually was meaning the assertion mostly in sarcastic vein...implying
that having ports for ocean-going vessels anywhere near the ocean was
obviously poor planning.

No, what is poor planning is not building things in a manner that
allowed for floods to take them out.

If *I* wanted to build something near the ocean, and the ground was 9
feet below seal level, I'd seriously consider building on 13 foot
stilts anchored in bedrock, or at least a honking big slab of
concrete.

I wouldn't. I'd build it on a barge.

Neither of the pprevious were my suggestions--I simply pointed out it's
hard to imagine not building docks and other facilities dependent upon
large ocean-going freighters at least near a deep water port.

As for barges, they've been bandied around for years--in general, they
appear to have been rejected by those in a better position to make the
decision than a landlocked usenet positor...