Goedjn

While you are technically correct, it just does not work that way in
society. Many of the poor, uneducated, were born in the city and just don't
know any better. Y

THAT, I think is the root of the problem. That they don't (didn't)
know any better. They didn't know how to get themselves moved,
they didn't know how to prepare, and they weren't (and still aren't)
in the habbit of being responsible for themselves and their neighbors.
Like farm-raised chickens, they have become completely dependant on
the support of the institution(s) that feed off them, and when that
support goes away, they die.

whereas other people, put in the same situation with EXACTLY the
same physical and financial resources would have done just fine.

our simplistic answer will probably come true for tens of
thousands with no place to go, but many will return if for no other reason
than the fear of the unknown.

It is well known that, given a choice between doing what they have
always done, and surviving, many people will choose to do what they
have always done.

--goedjn
--Goedjn