Bill

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 , "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

"Offbreed" wrote in message
I sure wouldn't be able to tell where that was. I thought the whole city
was below sea level.

Most of it is, but there are a few high spots.

http://hurricane.lsu.edu/floodpredic...Elevation2.jpg
that has detailed elevations, very revealing

The announcement that was widespread, that the whole city was going to
fill to 10 -15' after the levee break, was wrong, but nobody seemed to
be thinking clearly. The lake was at about 5' at the time, so only
maybe 3 more feet max was going to come in. This lack of thinking may
have hampered rescue efforts. Many areas were clearly not in danger
.... from more flooding at least.

Bill