Duane Bozarth

Offbreed wrote:

Ann wrote:

Of course I was mainly thinking of hurricanes, but there sure are faults
in the eastern US. I experienced a small earthquake when I was living in
DE.

Interesting subject. A quick search yielded these two sites:

http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/states/new_york/

http://mceer.buffalo.edu/infoservice/faqs/eqlist.asp

"Nonetheless, between 1730 and 1986, more than 400 earthquakes for which
location could be determined occurred in New York State. These
earthquakes had a magnitude greater than about 2.0. During this period,
New York State has had the third highest earthquake activity of states
east of the Mississippi River. Only South Carolina and Tennessee have
been more seismically active."

Yes, most of the east is fairly active seismically but of low
magnitude. New Madrid, otoh, is moderately active and prone to high
amplitude as well.