Owain

Default dangerous chimney?

"JK" wrote
| Just been to look at a house, which was really nice, plenty of stuff
| that needs doing! But I noticed one of the chimney breasts has been
| removed , ...
| Assuming I've got this right, this is really bad isn't it? The
| presence of the steelwork makes it look like a proper job was done,
| but the lower bit on the makeshift supports makes me think otherwise.
| I really like the house, but is there any way to proceed with a purchase?

The removal of the chimney breast should have been the subject of a Building
Regulations application. (If on a party wall, Party Wall Act provisions may
also apply.) If you tell your solicitor about the alterations she/he can
specifically chase up whether this application was ever approved by the
council. You could also get a structural engineer (CEng MIStructE) to do a
report on the chimney breast only.

Assuming you are buying in England or Wales, you should be able to get this
cleared up before any offer you make is binding on you.

Owain