Darmok

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 19:10:14 -0500, Ryan Underwood
wrote:

Hi,

I have several laser printers (TI Microlaser pro 600) and a pile of brand new
consumables for said printers. The printers are unusable because the pick-up
rollers for the upper and lower paper trays, in all of the printers, either
misses the paper entirely or jams at the input. Otherwise, the printers are in
fine condition and worked with no problems until they were retired.

Acetone is supposed to restore marginal rubber as a temporary fix, but these
rollers are very difficult to access, so a temporary fix would be more trouble
than it's worth.

I am having an unusual amount of trouble locating parts for these printers.
TI/Genicom never replied to my email request. Fixyourownprinter.com carries an
*exit* roller, but it just happens to be an exact equivalent to an exit roller
that another manufacturer supplies. I can't find anyone who will sell me
pickup rollers. So if anyone knows of a supplier for this part, please let me
know.

Another thought I had is that perhaps the rollers can be re-lined with fresh
rubber in a generic fashion. But I don't know what such a process would be
called, and am even more skeptical that it would be economical in single digit
quantities. (I have six bad rollers in all.) However, if someone could
manufacture a replacement based on a few failed samples, I'm certain it could
be stocked in quantity by at least one vendor.

I *hate* to throw these printers away especially with all the brand new toner
that came with them. But if replacements for whatever rubber parts are in it
are not available, I guess there's very little choice with any machine, isn't
there?

Long ago, in the days of the VCR, I had need of a substance/liquid
which would restore the myriad of rollers inside a VCR. Just so
happens that the local electronics shop carried a kit, which included
a 1 oz bottle of "Rubber Cleaner Revitalizer" and several foam tipped
applicators on long plastic sticks, with applicators on both ends,
angled differently to get into difficult places. I was skeptical, but
tried it, and it worked great. It also works great on my HP pickup
rollers ... anything rubber. The label on it says:

PRB Line
Rubber Cleaner Revitalizer
Part # RCR-21
Manufactured for Projector Recorder Belt
Whitewater, Wisconsin

Caution: irritating vapor .. use with ventilation. Harmful if
swallowed

Not a chemist, so can't tell you what's in it, but perhaps you might
be able to find something like this. I got this stuff ages ago, so
doubt its still being made (do they make VCRs anymore?)

Bill, KB8EB