Greg O

"Hedley" wrote in message
More then 500$ for a "decent" table saw? Really? We're talking about a
project here and there, no production-type work, where a little extra
set-up time for each cut isn't that big a deal. Right? I thought the
extra 200$ or so for an "entry level" conractor saw at the 500$ mark was
for an upgraded fence system and bells/whistles to make the work
easier/faster.

I'm also looking and have set 500$ for my budget. I need the saw to be
fairly easy in setting up, and fairly accurate. The saws in the 89$ (yes,
they make them that cheap) to 350& range seem a little too small, wobbly
and insubstantial. 500$ seems about right, and I can always upgrade the
fence if it becomes needed.

I'm not arguing, really. Your opinion is your own. I just want to make
sure I know what I'm missing out on in not spending the extra 200$ or
looking for a used saw for 500$.

Thanks for all the input.

I went through this a few years ago. I wanted a good sturdy saw, reasonably
accurate, something I could buy once and never worry about replacing it. I
ended up buying a Delta contractors saw. Sure I looked at the lower end
Deltas thinking I could upgrade as time went by, but if you look at the
price of replacing the fence it is cheaper to buy it with the saw at the
start. I spent allot of time examining saws in the $500 range. I ending up
buying a model similar to this one,
http://www.deltawoodworking.com/index.asp?e=136&p=4922 .When I bought it the
saw retailed something like $790, but I bought it on sale for $650. Now it
runs in the $800 neighborhood on sale. I figure I did good as I know I could
sell it for what I have into it. Others have bought Grizzly saws and been
happy, I was reluctant to buy a tool which for me was a bit unknown, plus
were they going to be around in 10 years if I needed a part. (All though I
wonder about Delta some too!)
My feelings are to save some more cash and spring for more saw and cry once!
The pain of spending extra money goes away quickly when enjoying a good
working tool!
Greg