John Rumm

Default Makita 8433 Combi Cordless 14v or 18v

Quddus wrote:

If anyone has bought one recently then please comment on what
persuaded you between the 18v/14v/12v models (apart from the price)

I got the 18V version recently from Lawson HIS, came with three
batteries and a Makita branded Fleece (not bad, black with red monogram,
and XL as well ;-)

I went for this drill after reading the various good reviews on this
forum in the past. I was replacing a 15 year old 9.6V B&D Proline (which
was a semi pro range they did for a few years under their own brand
before they acquired the likes of Dewalt or Elu) which to be fair was
very good in its day. In real terms the Makita probably cost no more
than the B&D (since IIRC you bought the charger separately from the
drill!). So I figured if it lasts as long then the annual cost is pretty
low!

I chose the 18V using the same logic as Andy mentioned - it did not cost
much extra, and there might be occasions where the extra power is handy.

Observations so far:

Battery life in normal use is very good. The packs are obviously built
from well matched cells. One battery pack did 150 5 1/8" screws before
needing charging. You could do 400 2" to 3" screws with no trouble on a
single pack. 25mm spade bit through 8" timber - no trouble.

Torque is adequate - for anything! Something will break long before the
drill runs out (the screw, the bit, your wrist etc).

The gearbox on its high speed is actually pretty fast - feels very much
like using a mains drill for speed.

The trigger gives good speed control and is progressive.

The chuck is very good (made by Rhom) - since the drill has a built in
rotation break you can do up the chuck with one hand (in fact that is
the only way to do it). It has a nice ratchet feel as it tightens, and
does get a good grip. It will also take big shanked bits like hole saws
(4" hole saw with 3/4" ply with no trouble at all).

It has three settings, screw, drill, and hammer. The screw setting turns
on the torque limiter. On screws over 3" you may want to use the drill
setting since the torque limiters maximum setting is not that high.

The additional side handle is very good and makes a nice change on a
cordless tool.

It feels very solid and well made - nicely balanced - but it is heavy.

All in all I am very pleased with it.
--
Cheers,

John.