Mike Mitchell

Default Agent scrapes in under the wire with a last-minute viewing!

I'm dismissing my agent today (he received notice two weeks ago). As
of tomorrow I have a different one. Yet out of the blue I get a call
this afternoon from the current agent only a couple of hours or so
before close of business to say that they would like to arrange a
viewing that has suddenly come up!

Well, the viewers have been (and they spent ages poking into
everything, probably spending the longest of any viewer so far - the
first to actually want to go up into the loft!). Apparently as long as
someone has been referred to the property by the current agent (I
assume up until close of business on the day of expiry of the sole
agency agreement), that - henceforth former - agent gets the
commission if the viewer does go ahead and buy the property, even if
the viewer took a week or so to make a decision.

What I'm not quite sure of is, the property will be on at a lower
price with the new agent. Am I supposed to inform the viewer of that
(if he does put in an offer)? In other words, he will probably see the
property on with the new agent as of tomorrow or Monday and won't want
to pay the current asking price if the new price is lower. However, he
was referred to the property via the current agent at the higher
price.

In any case, I don't expect any offer anyhow, so it's all rather
academic, really. I couldn't get more disillusioned.

MM