Michael Mcneil

Default Can I raise my joists?

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message

Yes, like making sure you don't remove the old ones before enough of the new
support is in! Also, planning how you are going to get the old joists out of
the roof space and the new joists in. You may need to remove some roof
covering and use some sort of crane or hoist, unless you are planning to
reuse the shortened old joists.

He could take out 3 or 4 and put them up cleaned. Putting 3/4 ply on
them means he won't need insulation. Take out another set and start
both the wall plate and the purlin he could get all his sheets up on a
calm, dry day without sagging the roof or losing slates and then bobs
your uncle.

I'd use screws as they will cause less jarring than nails. If I didn't
have them already, I'd buy a cheap circular saw and a second battery
screwdriver. One for predrilling and one for screwdriving.
Paint or stain the boards before sending them up as this will save half
the job later and prevent them getting dirty.