mywebaccts (at) PLUGcomcast.net

Oh ... I wasn't planning on "only" using the laminated boards. I have
an old 1 1/4" thick solid wood door from years back. It's heavy as iron
(not sure what wood it is, but it's nice and hard .. think it was an
external door that my father-in-law kept in the garage).

I was going to use that as the substrate (sp?) and glue down the
laminate ooards over it.

Jack

wrote:
You need an 1" of it to keep it from deflecting (unless you stress the
hell out of its support), it will change shape no matter what finish
you put on it, work running accross the grain will scuff it and spoil .
Put some fixturing on it and as it (your substrate) changes shape it
will distort the fixturing. Flatness is critical, you won't get it with
wood.
If no precision work is expected use it, give it a shot.