Edwin Pawlowski

"brian0918" wrote in message
Also, attached to our air conditioning system in the basement is an air
cleaner that doesn't work, and when you remove the cover from that, a
ton of air is pulled in. I've noticed that this causes a lot more cold
air to be forced through the vents, substantially cooling the
upstairs. However, we asked someone who would know about these things,
and he said you shouldn't do that (for some reason). Any information?

You have air circulation problems. It may be the air cleaner blocking the
air flow. I can't see your setup so I can't say if removing the cover is
good or bad, but if it is clogged, get it cleared out. You waste a lot of
energy that way. Are there other filters in the system? If so, be sure
they are clean.

If the filters and air non-working air cleaner is clear, the evaporator coil
itself may be clogged.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/