The Natural Philosopher

AlexW wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

AlexW wrote:

I recon that for for 46 m2 of flags your into around 1.5m3 of bedding
... how pricey is ardurit?

not a lot more

Any figures percentile wise? Interested for future ref. Could not dig up
prices from a (albeit half hearted) google.

Oh, and that's because you can use it in THINNER layers than cement -
down to about 5mm, which mortar is not too good at.

Never tried it that thin so can't comment. But expect you might be right.

I'd use sand/cement on thick beds 20-25mm, but if you have a height
problem, you don't want to do that.

IMO it would be pretty impractical to lay a level indian stone flag
floor with only 5mm clearance unless you are very sure of the sub base
levels and have sorted the flags thickness wise. The flags I have had
vary from around 20 mm to 45 mm.

Thats why I said 'down to about 5mm'

I used it on uneven screed from 5mm to nearly 30mm.

I think the prodct is about the same price as cement, or a litttle mo
Certainly using it that thick brought my material costs including
stoppers grouts and sealers up 50% or more on the base sandstone price.

I would have used mortar in the thicker bits if I hadn't been nervous
about its non slump properties. I ended up using Arduriut rapid set,
because it set faster than the slabs settled..and I could work on a line
I had laid 3-4 hours earlier.