Morris Dovey

Swingman (in ) said:

| I am beginning to suspect that we could do worse than making a
| calculated effort to replace the current crop of "emergency
| management" _leadership_, at the national and regional levels, with
| a core of seasoned, ex military combat leaders. I doubt there is
| anyone in this country, as a group, who is better trained and more
| qualified to think, plan and react as you point out ** above.
|
| Just imagine how effective FEMA could be with a Schwarzkopf in
| charge instead of a politically favored lawyer.
|
| With all the damn wars we've involved ourselves in, just in my
| lifetime, there should be a few of them around.

Sadly, it's not just FEMA (who, as far as I can tell, are simply
incapable of serving in any kind of "first responder" role) but the
same pattern of behavior that the administration displayed in the
tsunami disaster.

That pattern looks a lot like: 'Lets wait a week or three and see how
many are left before we do anything - it'll be cheaper if we just let
the weak ones die where they are.'

On the news last evening I heard black leaders opining that help had
not been forthcoming because so many of the victims were black. I
don't believe that's the case - and that the results would have been
exactly the same for /any/ racial mix. Either way, it's not America at
its best.

Cheaper indeed.

--
Morris Dovey