I just got an offer for Chinese DROs (to fit onto a mill or a lathe),

that are quite cheap. I _would_ prefer Heidenhain, Sony or Mitutoyo,
but
not my wallet!
These cheapos seem to have a resolution of 1/100mm, but what's their
accuracy?

I bought Chinese DRO's as shown in:
http://www.shumatech.com/support/chinese_scales.htm
As far as I can tell the accuracy is OK but I have had a lot of trouble
with the scales losing synchronization with the readout due to the
flimsy nature of the electrical connection. When this happens you must
take out the batteries and leave them out for 1 minute, then replace.
The battery covers and the contacts are very poorly made and have given
me much trouble.
Engineman