P.R.Brady

John Smith wrote:
Hi,

I have a 1998 1.6 petrol Fiat Brava (the Four door one - or is it a Bravo?
Never can remember which it is :-)) and a couple of times in recent months I
have had trouble turning the key in the ignition.

The key appears to be stuck or 'sticky' much in the same way you can get
trouble with turning a key in a Yale lock.

So, what can I do about this - is it as simple as getting some WD40 and
squirting a small amount into the ignition or is this a bigger problem? I
have been off work sick for several months and have hardly used my car so
could this be a reason?

It is a tad frightening when this happens - usually is the case - when I am
a long way from home :-)

Thanks for any advice or info,

Before you set light to the car with WD40, it's not the steering lock is
it? Does the key release if you ease the steering wheel one way or the
other?

I think all my cars have locked the ignition key occasionally and it is
easily reproducable like this:

1. Stop the car with the front wheels slightly turned.

2. Remove the key. In this position the wheel will still turn as the
steering lock has not engaged, but it will engage if the wheel is turned
far enough.

3. Turn the wheel so the steering clicks and locks. This will often
happen if the wheel is in an unfortunate position as I get in or out of
the car. In that position the wheel will have a little play on the
steering lock if you turn it one way but be absolutely solid if you try
to turn it the other. In this state the key will not turn as it needs
to release the steering lock which is under tension.

4. The solution is simple: just ease a gentle pressure on the wheel to
provide a little slack and the lock turns easily.

I hope it's that simple. Good luck!

Phil

--
Phil Brady