Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Pete C wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Over 15 years that could pay for a condensing boiler....

But the calculation is flawed by making it at this time of the year with
the boiler not in use. For the 6 months or so of the year when the heating
is needed - or it's used for just heating hot water - all that energy
won't be wasted. There's probably a diversity calculation that takes this
into account.

--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.