Stephen M

Funky Boy,

Nice job and welcome.

For that grain tearout. Fill with epoxy and scrape level before it stets up
completely. Sand when fully cured. It won't make the tearout invisible, but
at least it will not show up in light reflecting off the top.

If you have not done it already, back out the scres on the long aprons and
elongate the screw holes across the grain. If you do not allow the top to
move somewhat it will pull itself apart. The central screws should be fine.

To mitigate the cupping next time here are a couple if suggestions:

1. Sift through the pile for quatersawn stock
2. Hardwoods are a bit more stable than something as soft as cedar.
3. Use thicker stock and underbevel the top to create the illusion of a
less massive table top.

Cheers,

Steve

"Funky Space Cowboy" wrote in message
news
Hello. I'm new to woodworking and to this group, though I've been lurking
here for a couple weeks. I figured that now as a good time to introduce
myself since I just finished my first project, a small cedar coffee table,
and wanted to show off!

Pictures are up at: http://gallery.acerbic.org/album28

I finished it with Danish Oil and paste wax for the top coat. There are
some flaws for sure, like the fact that two of the boards I used to make
the top bowed pretty bad after cutting, which gives the top those upturned
outer edges. On the whole I'm very happy with it as a first effort at
making fine furniture and am very pleased to have something I made with my
own two hands sitting in the living room! Oh and I was very pleasantly
surprised to discover that it doesn't wobble at all and was sturdy enough
to take nearly all of my weight when I was polishing it. I'm still a
little tickled that I made something that looks like actual furniture :-)

Did I mention that I've taken up woodworking while living in a 2 room
apartment? As a result I'm confined to using only handtools, save for a
power drill, because of noise and dust concerns. I found many areas where
I need to improve my skills while working on this table and I'm sure
you'll see me asking for advice in the next week or two as I get ready for
another project. For now though I just wanted to say 'hi' and show off my
baby to other wood workers. I'd appreciate any comments ya'll have.

Cheers,

Josh