RicodJour

I have a back door that apparently was not put in square. It is a big
door. a fake door on each side and the real one in the middle. SOmeone
suggested shimming the hinge side so the gap is smaller where the door
latches. Can anyone explain how to do this? WIll I need to buy a router
to route hout" the hinge side? I am thinking of putting a 1/4 inch
board on the hinge side of the frame to push the door over that far.
How do I ensure the door is lined up properly when I put it back on?

Why would you put the filler piece on the hinge side? It's _far_ more
work than putting it on the latch side, and no real benefit. Buy some
lattice molding of the correct width - basically a flat thin strip of
wood - perfect for your application. You'll have to cut a mortise for
the strike plate, but that's really simple to do with a razor knife,
chisel and hammer. No need for a router. Make sure the piece fits
correctly before attaching it permanently. Cut it to fit. Put it place
and mark for the strike plate(s). Remove and cut mortises. Test fit.
Then glue and nail the strip in place.