Chris Whelan

Matt wrote:

WD40 has a place as a moderately good water dispersant. But it's not
a particularly good lubricant, it's certainly not a penetrating fluid
and it's worse than useless for lock barrel lubrication.

The only lubricant that should ever be used for locks is powdered
graphite.

Anyone who happens to leave their car outside during cold weather will
have no end of problems getting into the car if WD40, or oil, or ****,
or lock defroster, or deicer, or a hot kettle has been used to get the
key to work. A flush through with isopropyl alcohol followed by dry
powdered graphite and the locks will still open when its -25 deg C
(and even lower)

I understand completely the reasoning behind not using WD40. However, every
winter for perhaps 30 or more years I have sprayed it in to my car locks
perhaps once a month. Some of the cars I have owned for 6 years. I have
*never* been unable to open the doors even when others around me have had
problems.

WD40 is available everywhere, but I have not seen powdered graphite for sale
anywhere. (Not that it has been top of my shopping list though!)

Quite a few vehicle manufacturers actually recommend that NO lubricant
at all is used on ignition key barrels.

I think most do. Once the lock has reached the point of jamming I would
consider replacement is the best option.

Chris

--
Remove prejudice to reply