Funky Space Cowboy

Default First project complete!

Hello. I'm new to woodworking and to this group, though I've been lurking
here for a couple weeks. I figured that now as a good time to introduce
myself since I just finished my first project, a small cedar coffee table,
and wanted to show off!

Pictures are up at: http://gallery.acerbic.org/album28

I finished it with Danish Oil and paste wax for the top coat. There are
some flaws for sure, like the fact that two of the boards I used to make
the top bowed pretty bad after cutting, which gives the top those upturned
outer edges. On the whole I'm very happy with it as a first effort at
making fine furniture and am very pleased to have something I made with my
own two hands sitting in the living room! Oh and I was very pleasantly
surprised to discover that it doesn't wobble at all and was sturdy enough
to take nearly all of my weight when I was polishing it. I'm still a
little tickled that I made something that looks like actual furniture :-)

Did I mention that I've taken up woodworking while living in a 2 room
apartment? As a result I'm confined to using only handtools, save for a
power drill, because of noise and dust concerns. I found many areas where
I need to improve my skills while working on this table and I'm sure
you'll see me asking for advice in the next week or two as I get ready for
another project. For now though I just wanted to say 'hi' and show off my
baby to other wood workers. I'd appreciate any comments ya'll have.

Cheers,

Josh