Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 13:06:08 -0500, "Swingman" wrote:

I hope like hell I'm reading it wrong, but it appears at this point that
these highly touted hereabouts "emergency managers" seem singularly
ill-equipped and ill-prepared to handle this emergency.

(Seems reasonable to expect that much of the work of these supposedly highly
trained "emergency managers" would have been spent in "lining up their
ducks", which seems to be their singularly most important function, before
the fact.)

While it seems that things are moving slowly, this is a disaster of
proportions comparable to the San Franscisco earthquake and the Chicago
fire. In all fairness I'm not sure how much could have been prepared for a
disaster of this magnitude.

I am beginning to suspect that, just like the last time with many of those
with the attitude that only they know what's best for us, a lot of money has
been wasted on this supposed "emergency management" leadership.

I am surprised it has taken so long for the National Guard to show up.
It is also, however, quite disappointing to see the apparent lack of
motivation by some of those affected by the disaster to take steps to help
themselves out of the situation rather than help themselves to unguarded
electronic equipment. And then to start shooting at the rescue choppers?
What are these people thinking?

My partners in two businesses and I decided yesterday to open up any spare
rooms we have in our homes here in Houston, and in one case a summer home,
to refugees through a local church and synagogue jointly handling the
listings. SWMBO, and couple of neighbors spent the morning gathering clothes
and are heading to a Red Cross distribution point as I speak.

Good for you.

ITMT, if any of you see an opportunity, besides the preaching, to pitch in
and do something similar, it may make just as big an impact with the
displaced as what the "professionals" seem to have been able to accomplish
in many respects.

A donation through our church body (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod)
is going out this weekend; it will be matched $1 for $2 by an associated
fraternal benefit organization (Thrivent). At this time, it appears that
monetary donations may be one of the best ways for those of us far removed
from that area to help.

... and instead of shooting looters, it would probably be more productive
over the long haul to aim at the politicians who don't seem to miss an
opportunity to get their mugs on TV.

Well, while open season on politicians (of the other persuasion of course
-- whatever persuasion you happen to be) is sometimes an appealing thought,
I now understand why, in times past, there was no quarter given to looters.
By either ignoring or not responding with force earlier, the people who
should be doing work helping rescue victims are now having to act like
guards and watchmen -- a tragic waste of time and potential cause of
additional loss of life by innocent civilians because the police can't be
performing rescues of those trapped in the various areas of the city. I
would not be surprised if "shoot to kill" orders aren't given in the not
too distant future if the anarchy being reported continues. Hopefully this
is a case of the media latching on to the bad and overlooking all the good
happening.