IMM

Default combi vs conventional

"Set Square" wrote in message
Colin eclipse 2 wrote:

I know - done to death.. A customer has asked me this question. I
have come up with the following list. Any other thoughts - sensible
ones.. no need to start a debate about the merits - just need a list!

Conventional
Pros
Stored hot water - so water (hot and cold) available if mains
supply fails
Immersion heater backup - hot water if boiler or gas fails
Warm airing cupboard
Cons
Cylinder needs replacement (in this case to comply with
building regs) Storing hot water not as energy efficient
More complex controls
More costly than combi to install

Combi
Pros
High pressure showers without pumps
Only heats hot water you use
No stored water (flooding issue)
Frees cupboard space
Cons
slower bath filling
No warm airing cupboard

I'm not at all sure that a system based on a conventional boiler *does*

have
more complex controls. More complex external controls, perhaps - but the
diverter valve in a combi is at least as complex as (say) a mid-position
3-port valve - and seems to be at least as unreliable based on posts in

this
NG.

Not so. A few combi;s don't have 3-ways valves in them.

Also on the Cons side for combis, you only get a decent flow of hot water

if
you've got sufficient heating power in the boiler *and* a mains cold water
system with sufficient flow capacity. Many houses don't have sufficient

cold
flow capacity, and *need* to have stored water systems.
--
Cheers,
Set Square