Paul Franklin

On 1 Sep 2005 17:10:57 -0700, "TheNewGuy"
wrote:

ceramic tile?

I just ordered one from Coastal Tool, and am eagerly looking forward to
it replacing my Skil jigsaw (won't go as far as to call it a POS, but
blade deflection is routine - not capable of precise cuts at all, esp.
in knotty or figured wood).

But I got to wondering if I could use it - w/ the proper blade - to cut
1/4" ceramic porcelain? What WOULD a proper blade be? And what would
be the right type of bit (material) to drill a starter hole for cutting
interior holes in a tile?

Thanks much,
Chris

You bet. Get a carbide grit blade. Won't give you as clean a cut as
diamond, but works fine for the occasional odd size cut.

If you've got a lot of tile to cut, and the cuts are straight, get (or
rent) a real tile saw.

A carbide tipped masonary drill bit will drill a starter hole. Put a
piece of masking tape on first to prevent the bit from sliding all
over while you're getting it started.

HTH,

Paul