Pop

"Doc" wrote in message
ink.net...
:I have a house that was built new in '88. I've never had the
septic tank
: pumped, never put any of these treatments in it. Never had any
problems
: with it to date. For the most part, after the ex vamoosed
around '90, I've
: been the sole user.
:
: Is pumping the tank periodically necessary? Is there any
benefit to using
: any type of septic tank treatment? I was under the impression
that the
: bacteria that's in there is supposed to be self sustaining.
:
: Thanks for all shared wisdom
:
:
:
If it's working fine after all those years especially don't worry
about it. A properly used and maintained septic system does not
require pumping. Apparently you or whoever have been good users.

Personally I think using one of the tank bacterial treatments are
a good idea, just in case some soap or other liquid that kills
off the bacteria gets into it, or at least there should be some
on hand, but if it's working well, don't worry about pumping it.
We haven't had ours pumped since 1983, but we do use
treatments once a month, just for the heck of it. We were a
family of 4 til the kids left, now it's just the two of us.
The ONLY problem we've ever had with it was once when the
stand pipe managed to get frozen shut so it couldn't let air in
to assist the flushing. The rain cap had fallen off and was
letting freezing rain go down the pipe. Thawed it out and it
went right back to proper working.
You're right, the normal bacteria can keep a septic system
working properly.

HTH,
Pop