I'm not far from you in Benbrook, TX, and had a somwhat similar
experience with HD when buying my windows.

You learned the same thing I did. Go over the product with a fine
tooth comb, in the HD store and don't accept any crap.

Once I got good windows I've been really pleased with them.

Recently I went to HD to buy a door and soon realized that I was
getting sucked into this cycle again so, instead, I went up to
Sutherland Lumber, Hwy 80 & Cherry Lane, Ft Worth and they had the door
I wanted, for about $50.00 less and it was right there, in stock, in
the store.

Guess where I'm going next time. :-)

Lewis.