"No, it's not his fault that there's no wall remote. I specifically
said no when
he asked if we wanted the wall remote installed. However, he did not
install the
receiver and there is no other external speed control. It's a Harbor
Breeze
70085. So he basically left us with a fan that only runs on high unless
we
install the receiver which is what he should have done. "

Didn't you check when he finished the job to make sure everything was
OK, before he left? If the fan came with a receiver, then I would say
it should have been installed and he should come back to do it right.
However, every fan I've seen, the remote/receiver was a seperate
add-on. That is the way I'd install any new fan, using the remote and
no wall switcht at all. The only reason I can see for a wall switch is
if the fan has a light too, then you may want one. It also makes the
install faster/cheaper, as you don't need to run wires to a wall
switch, you just need 120V direct to the fan.