WillR

Leo Van Der Loo wrote:
Hi George
=20
When was the last time you were in Europe, and where ??
=20
I only was borne and raised there, (Still make yearly or more frequent =

visits) and traveled and visited in the NW of Europe, like France ,=20
Belgium, Holland, Germany, Austria, Hungary and Italy, I don't remember=

=20
wooden salt containers on tables.
=20
Over here in Canada they spread salt on some parts of the gravel roads,=

=20
to keep the dust down, seems to keeps the road damp.
=20
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

It certainly is a custom in some parts of Mexico...

A bowl of salt on the table -- good for dipping the jalepenos...

George wrote:
=20

Salt in Europe is often kept in wooden containers on the table rather =

than in "shakers," and is dispensed with a spoon, usually of wood. =20
Impurities in the form of calcium chloride used to make some salt=20
highly hygroscopic, but the modern table stuff has little or none, and=

=20
some silicate added so that "when it rains, it pours."

=20

--=20
Will R.
Jewel Boxes and Wood Art
http://woodwork.pmccl.com
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20
who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw