Ed Sirett

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 13:34:02 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
John wrote:
Out of curiosity I calculated how much gas my boiler pilot light
consumed and took a meter reading at 9pm and again at exactly 9pm the
next day. The heating & water have been off all that time with just the
boiler pilot light lit. I included the 2 red decimal numbers in the
meter readings and in 24hrs it had used 0.18 unit, which over a year is
65.70 units. If my sums are correct (Calorific Value of 39.4) I work
that out to be around 2081kWh. Is that amount of consumption about
right for a pilot light? On 2p per kwh that would be around £41 a year.
The boiler is a Potterton Prima B about 6 years old.

Remember not all that energy is wasted unless you never use the boiler.
Some of it will go towards keeping the heat exchanger warm, and in cold
weather help to heat the room.

I reckon on this being allowed for in comparisons. The 'book' figure for a
permanent pilot is a -5% on the SEDBUK rating of the boiler.