Pete C

Default Glass for fireplace

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:10:59 +0000 (UTC), Stephen Gower
wrote:

* Where should I go and what should I ask for to get a piece of
heat-proof, slightly tinted glass, roughly 400mm x 160mm? The
nearest glass supplier wasn't interested (or helpful - I think I
might have caught him at a bad time)

Hi,

You want borosilicate glass (Pyrex) or ceramic glass (as used in
ceramic hobs), a search on somthing like the following should give a
few leads:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...te+glass+sheet
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ic+glass+sheet

such as:

http://www.skan.co.uk/heat.htm
http://www.jmoncrieff.co.uk/Sites/glassforhome.html

* Do I need to protect the glass from the brick and steel? In any
case I guess I need some sort of gasket of sealant between the
glass and the steel? Anything recommended?

There are heat resistant sealants available, a shop that sells solid
fuel stoves would know.

cheers,
Pete.