Stephen X. Carter

On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 07:11:42 GMT, "Rick F." wrote:

DYSON -- isn't that the one that uses 100,000 the force of gravity! That
means that the centrifugal force will make one gram of dirt weigh the
equivalent of 100,000 times heavier or 100 kilograms or 220 pounds -- an
excellent example of gross exaggeration in advertising. If I cannot believe
this statement what makes them think that I will believe an other statements
they make.

I'm not seeing any such claim on their Web site.

The Dyson's do make that claim on the TV commercial if I recall (haven't seen one
in a while)..

I've not seen that advert, so I'm not going to comment. :-))

However, I throw the Dyson's under the gimmick heading like some of
the other vacuums of the past..

Take those blinkers off! The principle that Dyson uses to "filter" out
the dust is genuine, and very very effective. Given that it's fairly
common in industrial plant (where he saw the idea) it's surprising that
no-one else thought of it first.

Do you think that all of those other manufacturers would be trying to
copy Dyson if it wasn't genuinely effective?

Do you think that his market share in the UK would be so huge if it
didn't work.

I got tired of buying new vac's about every 2-3
years due to them wearing out (cords fraying and falling out, plastic parts breaking,etc)
and finally forked out a fair amount of $$ for my Miele Red Star vacuum.. I've
had it for 5 years now and it works like the day it arrived in the mail.. It's by
far the best vacuum I've ever owned and I'm sure will have many more years of great
service.. I really like the HEPA filter that doesn't spew crap all over the house
like so many (almost all) of the cheapie vacuums always do (hoover, dirt devil, eureka,etc)

Next to no crap gets spewed out by Dysons.

I'm on my second one - and that's only so because we had to leave one
behind in the UK when we migrated.

Dyson prides himself on build quality - rightly so. In his
autobiography he tells the tale of how his sales were skyrocketing in
the UK (sort of) except from one big store in Bristol. So he went along
incognito to see if he could spot the reason. And the reason seemed to
be that the salesfolk were telling people that Dysons were made of cheap
and nasty plastic and would break easily. So he then (personally)
arranged a presentation to the staff in the store, got up on the
platform, got a big sledgehammer and invited the sales people to try to
smash the plastic. Of course they failed. This story in in his
autobiography - go check it out.

Just my $0.02 worth..

Only worth $0.002. :-))

--