Ian Middleton

Default Quiet bathroom extractors

"Stephen Gower" wrote in message
John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:
The builders fitted a standard extractor to our new shower-room, but
it is really noisy! So noisy that my wife keeps turning it off, which
is a shame as it is quite useful.

How's it controlled? Changing it to a humidistat control means it
would only come on when it was needed, and your wife might not feel
the need to turn it off.
--
Selah

In my last house I fitted a £30 humidistat controlled 100mm fan (from
Jayhard) in bathroom. Bit of a waste of money as

1. Very loud despite trying various things to quieten it.
2. In winter would often not turn off (or sometime just turn on by itself in
middle of night when the temperature dropped) as humidistat was not
temperature compensated, despite much fiddling with the humidity setting.
Wouldn't of minded if it had been quiet.

In the end replaced it with an expensive Xpelair humidistat controlled fan
which did have a temperature compensated sensor. Cost over £100 from Jayhard
I think, and as a bonus was very very much quieter. Worked fine in both
summer and winter.

One other thing I fitted a pull switch override, pull cord to turn on fan
for 5 mins, for those times when the bathroom needs to be ventilated when
not having a shower !!!!!