I would have politely told whoever made out the work order that you
think there is a liability problem with putting on just new shoes. And
if they said to just put on brake shoes, tell them that since they
feel it is not a liability issue, to please give you something that
absolves you of the responsibility. If they really feel it is not a
problem, then they should not object to giving you a statement to that
effect. And I would try to put it in the light that you are trying to
look after the company's interest. You don't want to do anything that
would result in the company being sued. ( and if they are sued you
want to be sure the person making the decision is identified ).

Not a good situation to be in.

Dan