Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
| I was interested in how a pumped system could be switched to manual. A
| hamster in a wheel to turn the pump?

OK I give in. I was an Engineer designing little power stations for
aircraft, so thinking outside the box was normal for me.

I put two loops of one inch pipe, one on each side of the house, which
worked by gravity a treat, when tested. I shorted out the pump with a
gate valve, and shorted out the motorized valve which cut off the
upstairs with another stop valve. I also put in an extra pipe to feed
the downstairs radiators when the upstairs motorized valve was shut. In
the case of a power cut, open the two gate valves. The only problem left
was to feed the gas valve from an invertor from a battery.
Unfortunately, in the next 25 years, we never had long power cuts, so it
was a complete waste of time and effort :-(

Sounds like flawed thinking given I've got a plumbed in invertor that will
run the heating all day off a standard car battery.

But like you it's never been used in anger. ;-)

FWIW, I had a rented flat with an ancient completely non electric central
heating system. All the pipework in iron barrel - and the timeswitch on
the boiler clockwork. It worked very well. Think it dated from the early
'50s.

--
*Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.