Bob Mannix

Default Next door's foghorn

"Rod Hewitt" wrote in message
Well good ol' neighbours. They have a problem with their water supply.
Several times a day it makes an awful noise - trying to describe it I
came up with foghorn - but a bit higher pitched.

It's possibly the toilet filling. One of ours does the same from time to
time. The contributing factors a the age and stiffness of the ball-valve
diphragm (worse when its older and stiffer - as the actress said to the
bishop), the presssure of the water (higher=worse) and the temperature of
the water (colder=worse as the diaphragm gets stiffer) plus, of course, the
resonant capability of the pipework. I changed the ball valve diaphragm once
and it went away for a few months but comes back now when the conditions are
right. It's only occasional now but I would probably add another pipe
bracket somewhere with a rubber sleeve next to change the resonant frequency
of the pipes next if I could be *rsed.

You can generally stop it by opening a mains tap as this drops the pressure
a bit - in fact you can tap out signals by turning it on and off if you've
nothing better to do - try it with next door's!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)